Date: 21st December 2011
December 21st 2011 - USB solutions specialist Future Technology Devices International Limited (FTDI) has introduced additional elements to its family of precompiled, bridging ROM files that support its Vinculum-II (VNC2) USB host/device controller ICs. These files can be loaded directly into a VNC2 IC and utilised by its 16-bit microcontroller core in order to perform basic data transfer operations between common interfaces. Interface options include SPI, UART, USB host and USB device, with data operations such as mass storage, human interface devices, and communication device class. This provides engineers with off-the-shelf software capabilities that can be immediately implemented - enabling shorter development time and resulting in faster time to market.
The new ROM files from FTDI are:
• A SPI master to UART sample application ROM – which demonstrates the bridging of a VNC2 UART to the VNC2 SPI master for controlling SPI slave devices. Data is transferrable in both directions.
• A SPI slave to USB memory bridge sample application ROM – which demonstrates the bridging of a USB memory (Flash drive) device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a SPI interface.
• A SPI master to USB human interface device (HID) sample application ROM - which demonstrates the bridging of a USB HID class device (such as a keyboard or a mouse) present on the VNC2 USB host port to a SPI interface.
• A UART to communication device class (CDC) modem sample application ROM - which demonstrates the bridging of a CDC device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface, with data transferrable in both directions.
• A UART to FT232 host sample application ROM - which demonstrates the bridging of a FT232/FTxxx class device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
• A UART to USB HID Class Host Sample Application ROM - which demonstrates the bridging of a HID class device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
• A UART to USB Memory Sample Application ROM - which demonstrates the bridging of a USB memory device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
Each of the precompiled ROM files is accompanied by the source code, to allow users to modify and expand upon the reference software. Complete documentation and application notes are also included, which provide engineers the context of the implementation. Further ROM files are in the process of being developed and will be released in the near future. Should a specific combination of interface and application be required, FTDI is accepting inputs for its next round of development. Designers should contact FTDI at firstname.lastname@example.org to make their request.
The new ROM files can be downloaded free of charge at: http://www.ftdichip.com/Firmware/Precompiled.htm
Future Technology Devices International (FTDI) specialises in the design and supply of silicon and software solutions for the Universal Serial Bus (USB). FTDI offers a simple route to USB migration by combining easy-to-implement IC devices with proven, ready-to-use, royalty-free USB firmware and driver software. The company’s single and multi-channel USB peripheral devices come with an easy-to-use UART or FIFO interface. These popular devices can be used in legacy USB-to-RS232/RS422 converter applications or to quickly interface an MCU, PLD, or FPGA to USB. A wide range of evaluation kits and modules are available to evaluate FTDI’s silicon prior to design-in. Vinculum is FTDI’s brand name for a range of USB Host/Slave controller ICs that provide easy implementation of USB Host controller functionality within products and use FTDI's tried and tested firmware to significantly reduce development costs and time to market. FTDI is a fab-less semiconductor company headquartered in Glasgow, UK with R&D centres in Glasgow and Singapore and has regional sales offices in Oregon, USA, Shanghai, China and Taipei, Taiwan.
More information is available at http://www.ftdichip.com
Regional sales offices and distributor lists are available
For further information and reader enquiries:
Future Technology Devices International Limited
Unit 1, 2 Seaward Place, Centurion Business Park, Glasgow, G41 1HH, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 141 429 2777
Fax: +44 (0) 141 429 2758
Pinnacle Marketing Communications Ltd
Green Park House, 15 Stratton Street, London, W1J 8LQ.
Tel: +44 (0)20 84296543